Historically aviation started on a sod field
southwest of Glasgow in the 1930’s. Winn Davis,
Harry Norris and Hollis Norris supplied the land. It
was known as the Norris-Davis Airport. Robert “Todd”
Moore was the only “Ace Pilot” in World War II from
Barren County – thus the name “Moore Field”.
Industrial Development kindled much local interest
in aviation. December 18, 1957, the first Airport
Board of six members was appointed. The new Airport
Board was commissioned to find a site and build a
new airport. Financing was 50 percent federal, 25
percent state and 25 percent local.
There are many industries here who supply employment
for 13, 000 workers to keep the local economy on an
even keel. The Glasgow Airport was one of the
factors which brought them here.
The Airport is now at a “crossroads” in aviation for
the Glasgow area. Larger planes are coming in and
even larger ones want to. The new “Master Plan” has
been completed. Intensive studies have been made to
determine future aviation needs for the Glasgow
area. The Glasgow Airport Board continues to work
toward improving the Airport and its facilities so
that it can better serve the needs of the entire
Glasgow-Barren County area.